Follow this site by email:

Brookfield murder inquiry stalls: Allison Baden-Clay murder investigation hampered by lengthy delays in forensic testing

Allison Baden-Clay

LENGTHY delays in forensic test results are compromising police investigations, prompting a push for better resources and a cut in red tape.

As family and friends of Allison Baden-Clay still await details of her murder and the cause of death, the State Government says it will look at ways of fast-tracking the process.

Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson said yesterday they were yet to receive toxicology results following the post-mortem examination of the 43-year-old mother of three.

"We will, as is our tradition, just keep the efforts going and will never give up," he said.

"We haven't had a breakthrough as yet, but that breakthrough is only one piece of information away."

Mr Atkinson again appealed to the public for any information about Mrs Baden-Clay's disappearance from her Brookfield home on April 20 and discovery of her body at Kholo Creek crossing in Brisbane's west 10 days later.

For friends and family of Mrs Baden-Clay, the wait for justice is weighing them down.

Her parents Geoff and Priscilla Dickie said they wanted closure and were grateful for support from police, emergency officers and community.

"It is with broken hearts that we write to thank the many hundreds of people who have supported us throughout the last five weeks as our world changed forever," the family said in a statement.

Police Minister Jack Dempsey said there had been constant problems with backlogs during the past 20 years at the John Tonge Centre - the mortuary for Queensland Health Forensic and Scientific Services - and other facilities where testing takes place outside of Queensland.

"Time frames are enormous. In the past, it's been years," he said.

"A lot of that has been because money is being used in other areas and that's what we're all about, making sure the pointy end of policing is resourced properly."

Police Union president Ian Leavers said delays by Queensland Health in forensic testing of vital evidence could hamper investigations.

"I've seen cases where forensic testing analysis has taken over a year between when police have sent off evidence to be analysed and when results arrive back," he said.

"Clearly it's not the fault of the scientists charged with administering the forensic and DNA tests as they're working as fast as they can. However, there's simply not enough of them to meet the demand."

Anyone with information on the murder of Mrs Baden-Clay can call Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000.